Compute Engine: Qwik Start - Windows
Google Compute Engine lets you create and run virtual machines on Google infrastructure. Compute Engine offers scale, performance, and value that allows you to easily launch large compute clusters on Google's infrastructure.
You can run your Windows applications on Google Compute Engine and take advantage of many benefits available to virtual machine instances such as reliable storage options, the speed of the Google network, and Autoscaling.
In this hands-on lab, you will learn how to launch a Windows Server instance in Google Compute Engine, and connect to it using the Remote Desktop Protocol.
If you aren't using Windows on your local machine, install a third-party RDP client such as Chrome RDP by FusionLabs.
Setup and Requirements
What you'll need
To complete this lab, you'll need:
- Access to a standard internet browser. (Chrome browser recommended).
- Time. Note the lab's Completion time in Qwiklabs, which is an estimate of the time it should take to complete all steps. Plan your schedule so you have time to complete the lab. Once you start the lab, you will not be able to pause and return later (you begin at step 1 every time you start a lab).
- You do NOT need a Google Cloud Platform account or project. An account, project and associated resources are provided to you as part of this lab.
- If you already have your own Google Cloud Platform (GCP) account, make sure you do not use it for this lab.
- If your lab prompts you to log into the console, use only the student account provided to you by the lab. This prevents you from incurring charges for lab activities in your personal GCP account.
Log in to Google Cloud Console
Using the Qwiklabs browser tab/window or the separate browser you are using for the Qwiklabs session, copy the Username from the Connection Details panel and click the “Open Google Console” button.
You'll be asked to choose an account. Click Use another account.
Paste in the Username, and then the Password as prompted:
Accept the terms and conditions.
Since this is a temporary account, which you will only have access to for this one lab:
- Do not add recovery options
- Do not sign up for free trials
Join Qwiklabs to read the rest of this lab...and more!
- Get temporary access to the Google Cloud Console.
- Over 200 labs from beginner to advanced levels.
- Bite-sized so you can learn at your own pace.
Create a windows instance.