Compute Engine: Qwik Start - Windows
Google Compute Engine lets you create and run virtual machines on Google infrastructure. Compute Engine offers scale, performance, and value that allows you to easily launch large compute clusters on Google's infrastructure.
You can run your Windows applications on Google Compute Engine and take advantage of many benefits available to virtual machine instances such as reliable storage options, the speed of the Google network, and Autoscaling.
In this hands-on lab, you will learn how to launch a Windows Server instance in Google Compute Engine, and connect to it using the Remote Desktop Protocol.
If you aren't using Windows on your local machine, install a third-party RDP client such as Chrome RDP by FusionLabs.
Setup and Requirements
What you'll need
To complete this lab, you'll need:
- Access to a standard internet browser. (Chrome browser recommended).
- Time. Note the lab's Completion time in Qwiklabs, which is an estimate of the time it should take to complete all steps. Plan your schedule so you have time to complete the lab. Once you start the lab, you will not be able to pause and return later (you begin at step 1 every time you start a lab).
- You do NOT need a Google Cloud Platform account or project. An account, project and associated resources are provided to you as part of this lab.
- If you already have your own Google Cloud Platform (GCP) account, make sure you do not use it for this lab.
- If your lab prompts you to log into the console, use only the student account provided to you by the lab. This prevents you from incurring charges for lab activities in your personal GCP account.
How to start your lab and sign in to the Console
Click the Start Lab button. If you need to pay for the lab, a pop-up opens for you to select your payment method. On the left, the Connection Details panel becomes populated with the temporary credentials that you must use for this lab.
Copy the username, and then click Open Google Console. The lab spins up resources, and then opens another tab that shows the Choose an account page.
Tip: Open the tabs in separate windows, side-by-side.
On the Choose an account page, click Use Another Account.
The Sign in page opens. Paste the username that you copied from the Connection Details panel. Then copy and paste the password.
Important: You must use the credentials from the Connection Details panel. Do not use your Qwiklabs credentials. If you have your own GCP account, do not use it for this lab (avoids incurring charges).
Click through the subsequent pages:
- Accept the terms and conditions.
- Do not add recovery options or two-factor authentication (because this is a temporary account).
- Do not sign up for free trials.
After a few moments, the GCP console opens in this tab.
Join Qwiklabs to read the rest of this lab...and more!
- Get temporary access to the Google Cloud Console.
- Over 200 labs from beginner to advanced levels.
- Bite-sized so you can learn at your own pace.
Create a virtual machine instance (zone: us-central1-a)