Google Genomics: Qwik Start
Google Genomics helps the life science community organize the world's genomic information to make it accessible and useful. Advances in big data and machine learning have ushered in a new field of "big genomic data". Petabytes of these biological sequences (which are rapidly growing toward exabytes) are being used to tackle some of the toughest problems in the biomedical field. Google Genomics is an API that's part of the Google Cloud Platform and allows you to store, process, explore, and share large genomic datasets with ease.
In this lab you'll use Google's implementationn of the htsget and SAMtools — both popular methods to access and analyze large files of genomic data - to access data from public sources like Google's mirror of the 1000 Genomes Project
- htsget protocol: Accesses sequencing read and variation data to effect large-scale genomic data sharing
- SAMtools: Interacts with high-throughput sequencing data
Since these run on the container service Docker, it meshes quite well with the Google Cloud Platform.
Join Qwiklabs to read the rest of this lab...and more!
- Get temporary access to the Google Cloud Console.
- Over 200 labs from beginner to advanced levels.
- Bite-sized so you can learn at your own pace.