Building an IoT Analytics Pipeline on Google Cloud Platform
The term Internet of Things (IoT) refers to the interconnection of physical devices with the global Internet. These devices are equipped with sensors and networking hardware, and each is globally identifiable. Taken together, these capabilities afford rich data about items in the physical world.
Cloud IoT Core is a fully managed service that allows you to easily and securely connect, manage, and ingest data from millions of globally dispersed devices. The service connects IoT devices that use the standard
Message Queue Telemetry Transport (MQTT) protocol to other Google Cloud Platform data services.
Cloud IoT Core has two main components:
- A device manager for registering devices with the service, so you can then monitor and configure them.
- A protocol bridge that supports MQTT, which devices can use to connect to Google Cloud Platform.
What You'll Learn
In this lab, you will dive into GCP's IoT services and complete the following tasks:
- Connect and manage MQTT-based devices using Cloud IoT Core (we will use simulated devices.)
- Ingest a stream of information from Cloud IoT Core using Cloud Pub/Sub.
- Process the IoT data using Cloud Dataflow.
- Analyze the IoT data using BigQuery.
Let's check out the requirements and prerequisites for this lab.
What You'll Need
This is an advanced lab and having a baseline level of knowledge on the following services will help you better understand the steps and commands that you'll be writing:
- Cloud Pub/Sub
If you want to get up to speed on any of the above services, check out the following Qwiklabs:
- BigQuery: Qwik Start - Web User Interface
- Weather Data in BigQuery
- Exploring NCAA Data with BigQuery
- Google Cloud Pub/Sub: Qwik Start - Console
- Google Cloud Pub/Sub: Qwik Start - Command Line
- Dataflow: Qwik Start - Templates
- Internet of Things: Qwik Start
Ready to dive into IoT and related GCP services? If so, let's get started!
Join Qwiklabs to Read the Rest of this Lab...and More!
- Get temporary access to the Google Cloud Console.
- Nearly 100 labs from beginner to advanced levels.
- Bite-sized so you can learn at your own pace.